Full Stack Developer
Founded in 2015, Maple is a fast-growing health tech company with a vision to power the future of healthcare by building a connected and superior experience for patients, doctors, and other types of health providers.
With a growing network of 1,600+ healthcare providers and more than 3 million Canadians with access to our services, Maple is one of Canada’s fastest-growing virtual care companies.
We're also the team behind the Virtual Emergency Department at Michael Garron Hospital in Toronto, and the Trillium Health COVID screening program in Ontario’s Peel region. We've partnered with the province of Nova Scotia to support VirtualCareNS, which provides primary care to individuals in under-served regions. We also have a partnership under Maple Maskawâhtik with the Saa Dene group to connect culturally appropriate healthcare practitioners to First Nations, Métis, and Inuit peoples.
We have established an entrepreneurial culture centered around our mission to "build a connected healthcare experience." We attribute our success to our employees, who have helped us achieve numerous noteworthy awards including: Globe and Mail's #6 Top Growing Companies in Canada in 2021, #2 in Deloitte Canada’s Technology Fast 50 2021, LinkedIn's Top 10 Startups in Canada 2020, and Bay Street Bull’s The Power 50: Canada’s Most Impactful Companies 2021.
About the Role
We’re growing our engineering team in order to scale multiple business lines and enhance access to healthcare for Canadians. We’re looking for passionate developers who want to make an impact and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with an open culture and flat hierarchy.
At Maple, our engineering team builds the applications and services that support doctors, patients, and healthcare facilities. Our apps are built using React Native and TypeScript to ensure we can ship fast, with iOS and Android deployments through App Center. Our APIs have comprehensive test suites using PHPUnit, Cypress, and k6 load testing, along with branch-level preview environments orchestrated through Ansible and Terraform. Our goal is to create a fast, scalable, accessible experience for our users – whether it’s a patient messaging their therapist in a secure chat, a doctor providing urgent care over a video call, or a nurse practitioner triaging their virtual Emergency Room.
We’ll support and challenge you as you develop your technical and leadership skills in a scaling environment. You’re someone who enjoys thinking creatively, solving challenges, and coming up with fresh ideas to design the world’s leading virtual healthcare platform.
This is a fully remote position within Canada or you can choose to work from our Toronto office when public health guidelines permit.
- Collaborate on system-level decisions through weekly architecture meetings.
- Help organize, manage and deliver features through weekly sprints
- Write maintainable, scalable, testable code across our codebases.
- Grow as a developer through peer mentorship and weekly 1:1s with your manager.
- Collaborate with designers, product owners, and non-technical teammates (e.g. operations, business development) to deliver impactful products.
- 3+ years of experience developing in modern mobile, frontend or backend environments.
- Champion engineering best practices, understand the build environments, and solve complex asynchronous problems.
- For Fullstack developers, production-level experience with:
- One of React, Swift, Objective-C, Kotlin, Java, Laravel or similar frameworks, with a willingness to learn
- MySQL or other relational database
- Automated unit testing frameworks
- Redux or other state management tool
- API design using REST (GraphQL or JSON:API is a plus)
If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
In addition to the skills described above, you are:
- Mission-driven — we are a small and passionate team challenging the status quo of the healthcare industry. You need to be passionate about playing an integral part in helping us accomplish our mission and vision.
- Execution-oriented — you have a strong ability and desire to execute to the highest standard. You care deeply about the quality of your work and don’t cut corners.
- Highly organized and planful — you have the ability to manage multiple projects with strong attention to detail and prioritization skills.
- A strong communicator — you speak plainly and truthfully. You communicate complex ideas in a clear and easy-to-understand way.
- Highly collaborative — you have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with a cross-functional team
Other Role Information
- Job Type: Fulltime
- Location: Remote within Canada, OR, Toronto
- Start Date: Flexible
- Paid Vacation: 3 weeks
Working at Maple
We want you to love working at Maple. We want you to feel challenged and supported, cared for, and driven. Just as we’re driven to grow, to improve, to iterate our products and services, we want you to take the same mindset as you work towards achieving your personal best. We can all learn, we can all develop, and we can all power the future of healthcare. But we can only do it together. At Maple, we are a team first and foremost. Your success is our success.
In order to support your wellbeing, we offer an evolving set of benefits and perks, including:
- Flexible schedule: Core hours to ensure collaboration with team and flexibility on regular hours. Ability to work remotely from anywhere within Canada.
- Monthly Maple Labs: Take the first Friday of every month to work on impactful passion projects.
- Health benefits: Comprehensive health and dental benefits and insurance from day one as well as unlimited online consultations with a General Practitioner on the Maple platform, access to Mind by Maple — our mental health offering — plus lots more.
- Maternity & parental leave benefits: Up to $8,000 supplemental unemployment benefit.
- Additional time off: In addition to vacation, you’ll receive 10 paid mental and physical health days plus additional paid and unpaid time off for significant life events.
- Learning & development: Up to $1,000 professional development budget per fiscal year, continuous feedback culture and annual performance reviews.
- Snack programs: Healthy snacks in the office and DoorDash DashPass for those who are remote.
- Team socials: Quarterly team socials, such as virtual escape rooms, art classes, trivia nights and more.
- Dollars for doers: If you volunteer regularly with a cause, we’ll make a donation in your name to recognize your commitment.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Check out our first Environment, Social and Governance (ESG) scorecard here.
Please note that any offer of employment may be subject to verification of employment and education background checks, including a criminal record check.